All NIH employees or groups of employees performing research, administering clinical/scientific disciplines, or working in scientific professions, such as Medical Officers, Health Science Administrators, Biologists, Chemists, Veterinarians, Dentists, and Nurses.
- Unusual display of leadership promoting the advancement of the understanding or application of scientific phenomena, processes or problems.
- Extraordinary achievement in the application of scientific principles and methods to improve the efficiency or extend the benefits of the NIH.
- Discovery or invention of a new scientific principle, process or device resulting in substantial benefits.
- Sustained and exceptional performance beyond regular duty requirements in carrying out a difficult task.
- Outstanding contribution, beyond regular attendance, to a special committee or task force dealing with NIH-wide scientific policies, procedures or operations.
- Superior skill and leadership in science.