Viewing past award guidelines
You are viewing guidelines for the 2021 awards. See award guidelines for the current year.
The Common Fund Leadership category of the NIH Director's Awards is intended to recognize superior performance or special efforts significantly beyond the regular duty requirements that are directly related to fulfilling the NIH mission. A limited number of awards (up to 3) will be selected based on Common Fund Program activities. Nominations by IC Directors or Senior Program Staff who serve as Common Fund Working Group chairs will be considered for individual or groups awards. The nominations will be initially reviewed by the Director, Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives (DPCPSI) who will provide recommendations to the NIH Awards Committee and the NIH Director. Please be sure to document in the award submission that the nomination is for 'Common Fund Leadership' activities' consideration.
All NIH employees.
- Remarkable display of leadership promoting the advancement of the NIH Common Fund Program initiatives and/or their underlying processes.
- Extraordinary achievement in the application of scientific and/or administrative principles and methods to improve the efficiency or extend the benefits of the NIH Common Fund Program.
- Discovery or invention of a new principle, process or device of a scientific or science administration nature resulting in a new approach or substantial benefits.
- Sustained and exceptional performance beyond regular duty requirements in carrying out a difficult task.
- Outstanding contribution, beyond regular attendance, to a special committee or task force dealing with NIH-wide Common Fund Program policies, procedures or operations.
- Superior skill and leadership in science and/or administrative management.